Family 2010

Family 2010
Summer Fun

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Speedy Camping Trip

Well it was an unexpected and seriously insane mad dash of a camping trip. Nonetheless, camping we did go. On Friday John came home early and as usual wanted to go off-roading. Nothing different from the norm. In fact, if he could live in Gilmer, TX with the off roading park, he would. So he says lets go. The only difference this time is that I was crazy enough to agree to it all. We hurriedly packed the car in one hour and left. That was only the beginning of our journey. We still had to rent a uhaul trailer to tow the jeep and buy various other tow hitches and tie downs. This all leads us to not even arriving at the camp until 7pm. Not too bad considering the camp is 2 hrs 30 minutes away and we had to stop and get cash from the bank and diesel fuel for the truck. Somehow there was no time to eat. Not my choice, but at any rate the kids an I had only eaten a few cheese crackers, a few cookies and some misc candy. We were starved and feeling sickly. We still had to set up camp and go to Walmart for food. The kids were AWESOME. They were so excited to camp. You would have thought they were both at home in the woods in the pitch black dark. Neither of them had any fear! I guess it was okay since I had enough for all of us. I have been watching too many forensic files and 48 hours lately and camping with just my little family seemed a little too crazy. Bryce and Julia were running around with us in the dark collecting tree limbs and sticks for a fire. We pitched the tent in the dark! We did eventually go and return from walmart and John managed to start a fire and cook burgers and hot dogs on the grill. Sure we FINALLY got to eat at 11:30pm, did I mention the kids were so awesome that they weren't crying or screaming or anything that one would do when starved to that point. What sweet babies we have. The kids and John passed out almost instantly and I lay there trying not to think of all the shows that I had seen recently. I eventually drifted to sleep and awoke in the morning to Bryce waking up. We hurriedly tore down camp and John prepped the jeep. We strapped in and off to the trails we went. We didn't get too far in and we were stuck deep in the mud. Luckily, John found a kind Jeep goer and winched us out. That was about the extent of the off roading. I couldn't believe that only 30min of time was all we had for this fun adventure and the main reason we even went so far to camp. You won't believe it when I say I had a good time and the kids did too. Now of course I hope that if there is a next time John will either pre plan or let me preplan our trip. See I AM the PLANNER and John is Mr spontaneity. Not bad, but as planners know when you don't plan things don't always go as you want. I've learned to try and roll with the punches. I think if is is up to Julia and Bryce we will camp again soon. I am going to look for a cot, I mean really a pregnant lady on the ground.....we can do better than that!

1 comment:

stacey said...

Sounds like fun! Since you are the planner, you should plan as you know if you suggested you go, your hubby would be totally on board. This is what the planner in me would do. Make some foil dinners and throw them in the freezer with a package of hotdogs. Take an old backpack that the kids won't use or plastic bin and start collecting "camping" things like old shoes and socks for the kids (they always find water/mud if it is around)lighter fluid, matches, flashlight, paper or plastic goods, an old knife that will still cut, long handled BBQ tools (from dollar store)and hot pad, burn ointment, bandaids, neosporin and benadryl (unless you have a good car first aid kit) extra diapers. I think you will get so excited and after awhile you will have more camping stuff than you know what to do with. Can't wait to read about your next big adventure.